I love messing with recipes. I also love baking something for my family that not only tastes good but is good for them. Here's my latest:

Banana Peanut Butter Whole Wheat Cookies!
1 1/2 c. flour (I use a mix that I make that's about 3/4 whole wheat)
1/2 t baking soda
2 small mashed ripe bananas
1/4 to 1/3c packed light brown sugar (my family does fine with less)
1/4 c butter or whatever you fancy (I used a bit of Earth Balance, some ground flax seed and the rest apple sauce)
1/4 c chunky style natural peanut butter (no sugar or oil added)
1 large egg
1t vanilla
Beat bananas, brown sugar, applesauce/butter, and peanut butter until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour and baking soda. Shape into small balls and place on lightly oiled baking sheet. Using a lightly floured fork, press a crisscross pattern into each cookie. Bake in a 375 degree oven until the edges are set, 10 minutes or so. Cool on baking sheets.
I want to play with it a bit to eliminate the white flour and use another sweetener too. But for now, it's very healthy and the kids LOVE it. They think they're getting a treat and I feel good about it!
Do you have a favorite healthy but delish recipe?

1 comment:
I made these yesterday and they are yummy! I should admit that I added chocolate chips, but my 1-year old picked every single one of them out and handed them to me. Ha! I'd be interested to know a little more about your flour mix - I'm always afraid to add too much wheat flour and really mess something up.
Post a Comment