I am NOT a collector or saver. My husband might disagree, seeing my bins of fabrics and yarns. But really, I'm not. This is why I am always surprised when, at this time of the year, I feel giddy and excited to open our stashed-away boxes labeled "Coat Closet - Christmas." During other parts of the year I forget the treasures these boxes hold. Like this beautiful, simple Nativity. The angel measures almost 6" tall and it's home in this new house is on top of the well-loved piano. I don't even mind packing away my brother's pottery for a while to make room for it. My grandmother, the one who my family says I am just like, gave it to me when I became a mountain mama. A friend of hers made it for her. I distinctly remember playing with the little baby Jesus as a little girl. He comes out of the manger! My own children discovered this fact a few days ago. What joy!
This is another Christmas treasure. I think this chiming rolly-polly Santa was given to me on my first Christmas. That would be somewhere in the 1970s. I *suppose* that makes it vintage. Oh my. Some of his paint is chipping off, but he has taken some beatings and still is well-loved. I am quite sure he will see even more rough play in the years to come. Sorry, Santa!
I almost always add a new handmade treasure to our small collection every year. Two years ago I saw this fabric and fell in LOVE. Our recycled, embellished old tree skirt was starting to really look bad and I knew it was time to make another. Well, life happens and 4 yards of Christmas fabric sat in my collection... until this year!!! So, I introduce to you my family's new tree skirt!


No comments:
Post a Comment