Thursday, June 28, 2012

Overflow

It's zucchini time!  My husband and kids are not big fans, unless it is baked into muffins or bread.  This year I decided to grow 4 plants, thinking that would be just right.  Yea, I hear you laughing from over here!  Not nice!

So, you’ve cooked and grilled it, shredded and baked it, frozen it…now what?  Kale chips are all the rage but it doesn’t have to stop there.  Zucchini chips are easy peasy to make and delicious to eat.  (I also tried yellow summer squash - not nearly as tasty or as sweet.)

1. Thinly slice your washed zucchini.  My dehydrator held about 3-4 medium zucchini.  

2. Arrange on dehydrator  trays so that no circles touch.  Heat several hours at a medium heat setting - your preference.  I usually set mine somewhere around 105-120 degrees.  

3. When the top is starting to crisp and the bottom is chewy in texture flip them over.  Dehydrate until crisp!  

4. Often I let mine cool overnight or at least several hours before placing in a glass jar for storage.

I’m not certain how long these will keep because we eat them quickly!  Typically, if you have fully dehydrated a food, it will last for months.  (Update: our leftovers lost their crunch.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with the humidity here or something else, but they're still tasty.)  

Try it and tell me what you think!

No comments: