Friday, July 13, 2012

VEGAN Fresh Peach Cobbler Muffins

Peach season!  Ahhh, I love them.  On a recent trip to visit my husband's family we picked up a big bunch of peaches from an orchard.  We ate them fresh, froze some, put them in oatmeal but my kids and I were itching to bake with them.  Being almost 9 and almost 5, they are starting to figure out what ingredients are necessary for baking so they helped me come up with this recipe!  I think one of my favorite things in my day is having a child or two in the kitchen with me.  Not only are they good at assisting, but they really do have some great ideas about what would be tasty.  I find that it is much easier to teach them about healthy eating by chatting about why I cook the way I do while letting them be hands on with the good stuff.  Just the other day while fixing lunch my youngest commented that I put chia seeds or flax seeds in almost everything.  Perfect opportunity to explain the "why".  Now he reminds me!  Awesome.  Anyway, back to the fresh peaches....

Disclaimer: as always, my recipes are not exact.  You need to pay attention to what you are making and adjust if you see a need.  It is heavily adapted from another recipe we used to use for muffins (non-vegan and not as healthy overall).  If you make it, let me know what you think!

These muffins were super moist and tasted just like peach cobbler.  YUM!



 VEGAN Fresh Peach Cobbler Muffins

½ c applesauce (less if your applesauce is on the watery side)
1/3 c sugar or your preferred sweetener
1T ground flax+ 2.5T water whisked together and refrigerated for 15 minutes, then whisked again
½ c vegan sour cream, vegan yogurt, or nut milk mixed with chia seeds until thickened
1t vanilla extract
1t cinnamon
½ c + 2T almond flour
½ c +2T whole wheat flour
½ c unbleached flour
2t baking powder
1-1.5c fresh chopped peaches
1c chopped pecans

1.     Grease muffin pan and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.     Combine first 5 ingredients. 
3.     Mix baking powder into flours first, then stir flours into wet mixture just until combined.
4.     Fold in peaches and pecans.
5.     Fill muffin tins at least 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before eating.  Makes 12 muffins.


No comments: