But first, let's get real, what's the prize? Because there always should be a prize....
A SET OF 4 NAPKINS in any available fabric from my shop (SustainableHomestead.Etsy.com) **AND** A SET OF 2 PRODUCE BAGS!!! nice.
SEE THESE?

I'm starting to collect quite a few of these now that we live near a Trader Joes and hours away from our favorite roasters (who would let us reuse bags or just put the beans right into our glass container). I've washed them out and kept them. And spent some time trying to figure out the perfect use for them. For me, for someone else....whatever. I just don't want to add them to the landfill.
Here are the contest rules:
- Required First Entry: Describe a fantastic way to reuse these coffee cans in this post's comments! Get creative!
- Additional Entry: Share my blog on Facebook, then comment that you have done so.
- Additional Entry: Become a follower of my blog, then comment here that you have done so.
- Additional Entry: Become a fan of SustainableHomestead on Facebook, then comment here that you have done so.
- Additional Entry: Share my blog/this contest on twitter, your own blog, etc, then comment back here what you've done.
The details: Make sure I have a way to contact you. If I do not get a response from the winner within 48 hrs then another winner will be chosen. This contest will be done via random number generator BUT my favorite idea will be given 10 extra entries.

12 comments:
Make them into a footstool. They can be covered with fabric (or knit a cover).
You will need seven. Place one in the center, solid bottom side up. (It does not need to be covered.) Cover one, and attach to center one - seam side in - unless you knit a cover in the round. Do the same for the remaining five. When finished, you will have a flower shape. Trace around the shape onto a piece of cardboard. Place a bit of padding on the cardboard and then cover with the same or contrasting material. Attach the cover to the base. Voila!! A footstool. (My mother-in-law made many of these, a couple for her house, and then lots as gifts.)
Ravelry - morrow
cover with fabric or paper, or let the kids decorate. fill each one with a small art or craft project, game, etc and set them aside for easy access on a rainy day, sick day, or whatever day when you need something fun and special to entertain a kiddo, cheer them up, get them out of your hair for a minute, etc. these would also make fun kits to give as gifts to friends/family (either kids or grown ups depending on what type of projects you put in there). or would just make clever gift wrap on their own, for a small gift or gift card. they are nice and colorful on their own so just a nice bow or pretty yarn would make for a pretty package. :)
i shared this giveaway on facebook.
and i am a follower of your blog.
and i'm a fan of your facebook page. :D
Make garden/yard ornaments...First, take metal cutters and slice half way down from the open part of the coffee can. Make about 5 cuts evenly around the can and then fold them back to form the petals on a flower. Use a durable paint to paint the petals and center of the can. Take a stake or piece of wood (we used some old tobacco sticks that we found in our barn)and screw a screw through the center of the can into the tip of the piece of wood.
Stick the finished flowers into your garden and let your beans grow up them or just for decoration!
I made these with a group of 2nd graders and they turned out adorable.
I'm on a Christmas kick, so I'm picturing some sort of garland. I'm thinking strung together at all different angles, covered with fabric/paper/felt/twigs/other bling and/or maybe some of them tin-punched. Ok, maybe it'll be a big garland...I suppose tin punched candle-holders are always an option as well. :)
Hope this isn't too late... unsuccesfully posted it a few days ago.
A couple of simple, but fun/cute ideas.
Cover can with fabric in a holiday or celebratory design, pattern, or maybe even cross stitch/embroidery. Make it like a sock and insert into can then fold over the top so it covers inside and outside of can and use for wrapping small gifts. If your fabric is thin, you could still use the lid (maybe cover the lid with felt or something). Cute and reusable by the recipient as well.
You could also make shelf sitters. Decorate the outside with arms and legs and use for any kind of character... add a hat for santa, wings for a fairy, monster for halloween, etc. Any fabrics would work with a little craft glue. If you put the legs at the edge of the bottom of the can, they'll even dangle, making them adorable. You could also make stocking hangers out of them if you weight them, add a hook to the bottom, and cover them.
I've got more ideas, but don't want to give away all my secrets. :D
Wendi O
I think this might be somewhat similar to another poster's idea...but what about fun sound makers... cover with something cute and add some rice or beans...
you could even make them really fat rain sticks..if you filled them with something to slow down the bean action :-)
(raverly: scubaknit)
I went to click the link for your shop but got a 404 not found error :-(
is it an etsy shop? I'd love to browse :-)
Debbie - thanks so much for pointing that out. I have no idea why it won't work so I just typed out the address.
You all have some great ideas! This contest ends Halloween night! Good luck to all. Winners will be announced Monday or Tuesday.
I know I'm late for the contest but just wanted to share another idea. I've been collecting cans (I hate waste so a lot of our recycle stuff ends up in our garage waiting for a brilliant idea!), and used them in the garden to protect seedlings from the wind when transplanting them. Simply cut out bottom and top, and surround seedling with it. Now.. any idea what to do with 2L plastic milk bottles?
Post a Comment