Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What does it matter?


I was recently told that something I was concerned about was trivial, that it was a waste of my time to think about. Really?

Changes don't usually happen with one huge step. Most people I know who consider themselves environmentally savy don't live off the grid, walk everywhere, etc. It isn't necessarily possible for everyone to go to that extreme. Instead, these families strive to think about every little part of their lives to see how they can reduce waste, reduce their dependency on fossil fuels, reduce their use of disposable items, and all that jazz. Sure, many grow their own produce, might have their own dairy cow, might ride their bike or walk as often as possible, might have solar panels... but the majority of change for the better is made up in the little things.

Every single one of us can make an impact. You can make it by what you choose to buy, by what you choose to not buy, by what you choose to throw away, by how you brush your teeth even.
Here are some mainstream companies that are trying, in very small ways, to be better. And even though I do not buy their products because of some ingredients they contain, I applaud their efforts to do SOMETHING. It shows that when we all do a little something, it adds up.

  • Vaseline eliminated 110 tons of packaging per year. 110 tons!
  • Suave Body Wash replaced its 9% recycled bottles with ones that are 26-29% recycled. This increases their recycled content from 139 tons to 426 tons every year.
  • Dove Body Wash reduced plastic usage by 0.5 grams per bottle. This saves 122,000 pounds of plastic per year.
(I suggest going a step further... use bar soap instead of liquid. You'll not only save cash, but save even more plastic packaging!)

This is a simple reminder that change really IS in the little things. Your individual choices DO have a positive impact on cleaning up our planet and setting it right.

No comments: