Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekend Crafting

My kids are crafty. I guess they can't help it with a mama and papa who love to create things. Yesterday I was making my first attempt at mashing 2 clothing patterns together. A grown-up sized pullover and the button down Kai shirt from Weekend Sewing. I am just starting to feel comfortable with making clothing, which means I was deep in thought, in the zone. So was my husband. He had a bunch of wood, some springs and tools. Understandably, the kids chose to be with the wood and tools outside on a pretty pre-Spring day.

First, they got 2 shims.
Then 2 nails.
Next came the hammer. Note to self - must research a high-quality real kid-sized tool set!
My youngest, he's 3, came inside for a minute and asked me for a fabric scrap.
Then he came in again and asked to borrow the scissors for a minute.
SAILBOAT!
Next my oldest arrived at the back door, deep in cloth planning thought. She asked for a "nice" scrap and then asked me to help her sew it into a triangle with a L.
She did NOT want to cut holes. I helped her push it onto the nail.
Ahh, refined SAILBOAT!

I admire their creativity. I love letting them loose and seeing what will happen. Maybe I'll start letting my kids write crafting tutorials?

Now, for my sewing friends... I *know* what you're thinking. You want to see the shirt. Here it is. It came out fantastic, if I do say so myself!

No comments: