Plastic bags everywhere at the Farmers Market. Makes me cringe. Makes me want to live in California or wherever else they’re banned. Plastic produce bags filling their carts at Whole Foods. I find myself wanting to ask these people if they know that there are other ways of bringing home their foods! But I do try really hard to not be “one of those people” so I walk on and use my SustainableHomestead drawstring produce bags and nylon bulk food bags without confrontation. I was thrilled to see SO many people using reusables at Trader Joe’s though… and then my daughter and I walked to the organic produce section only to find these foods sitting in plastic trays, wrapped in plastic wrap. Bleh. No thanks. I explained to my daughter why I wasn’t going to buy any of it and we walked on. She’s almost 7 and getting great at spotting these things on her own. Sometimes I feel like such a little fish in a big, big pond though.
I miss my garden! But I have found a local company that delivers produce to your house and it's all locally sourced...even milk! Maybe that's my solution? What's yours?

2 comments:
Drives me crazy, too!
My solution? CSA - we bring our own baskets/boxes for pickup, same goes for the Farmers Market. The rest of the time I make the effort to be a living example by using my cloth shopping bags EVERYWHERE. Seriously. WalMart, the mall (much to the embaressment of my teens) book store, library, fabric store, yarn store, Home Depot, Lowes, I mean everywhere. I send teen's lunches with reusable nylon/cotton baggies and cloth napkins.
OH!!! That just reminded me...I've been meaning to give you a shoutout for ages about the nylon/cotton baggie issue. I made a couple dozen with BOTH - double layered! Nylon on the inside, fancy cotton on the outside. Nylon acts as a moisture barrier [somewhat], zebra print and other decorative cotton makes them more acceptable to teen daughters. I just cut my long rectangles from both fabrics and serged both short ends to hold together, then folded and serged the sides to make the baggies.
Myself, I wouldn't cringe quite so much if I knew people had noticed the plastic-bag-recycling bins at pretty much every supermarket. At least in my area, they're pretty ubiquitous, and until I get around to sewing some cloth bags, I make use of the recycle bins regularly!
Post a Comment